'Thank You' mod added

Find out all the latest about Kinky Gerlinky.

Moderator: UrMa

'Thank You' mod added

Postby KG » Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:41 pm

I've added a new feature to some of the forums which allows you to thank the poster with the simple click of a button.

All that you have to do is click on the new "Thank Topic" button at the top or bottom of the page and your appreciation will be registered. The button looks like this:

Please use this feature instead of adding a new post to the topic just to express your thanks.

The people who have thanked a particular author for their topic will be shown below the initial post.

Please let me know what you think of the feature :D
KG

The rules have been updated: do not post media from pay-per-click hosts, such as FileSonic and HotFile.
KG
Site Admin

Postby shadow » Sun Jan 11, 2009 11:11 pm

Good feature. Hope people will use it.
http://www.latexzone.net
shadow

Postby emilymortimer » Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:11 am

Yes, nice feature for all who post content. Thanks 8)
emilymortimer

Postby Guest1234 » Mon Jan 12, 2009 3:33 pm

One question, when people thank a particular post, will the "yellow mark" appear next to the thread?

I believe the idea is that it doesnt.

also, people have to be careful not to post media in the "thanks site"
Guest1234

Postby BUGGY » Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:23 pm

Nice one KG... i would have clicked the thank you on this thread but it was there :wink:
Naaa, really it's i good idea :D
The Games Mistress ...i saw her first!!
BUGGY

Postby kinkyjeff » Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:18 pm

Thanks KG, I think its a good addition.
I empathise with the people who get annoyed by the new post flags when there's no new images/video etc, so I see it as a good thing to have a way to express your thanks without adding irrelevant posts.
I'll try (as I hope others will) to use this so that the people posting don't feel like no-one appreciates the effort.

As an aside I'd like to say a massive thanks to all the people who have contributed to the forum over the past couple of years that forums have been going (almost 2 years KG, any plans for an anniversary celebration?)

Long may the kinkiness continue!
kinkyjeff

Postby invisibleman78 » Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:01 am

You should really add the "Thank Topic" to this topic as well, because of: THANK YOU for this! 8)
invisibleman78

Postby KG » Tue Jan 13, 2009 1:19 am

Thanks for all the feedback. I'm really pleased that the new feature is being used.

@Guest1234 - you're right, the idea is that visitors can thank the topic poster without this being registered as a new post. The yellow 'unread posts' icon won't be displayed and visitors will know that no real content has been added.

Please note that you are still very welcome to add non-media posts to an existing topic. It would be a shame if the thank you feature had a detrimental effect on the conversational nature of the forums. In any case, the forums are an ongoing project, and they'll keep improving. I'm delighted that people keep coming back and I thank all the contributors without whom this could never have got off the ground. I'm sorry that changes take so long to incorporate, but it's only me doing the techie stuff (with UrMa doing a sterling job moderating).

@kinkyjeff - yes, it'll soon be two years, and I think it's only right that we celebrate :D Suggestions?
KG

The rules have been updated: do not post media from pay-per-click hosts, such as FileSonic and HotFile.
KG
Site Admin

Postby Angelic » Wed Jan 14, 2009 3:53 am

The only thing I can think of that is wrong with it, is that people use the number of views as a guide to whether a thread is a honeypot. Having someone thank a poster causes the thread to move to the top and get more views - which in turn creates the impression (true or not) that the thread is more interesting.

In the past, some posts have received no thanks or comment, and then they have sunk out of view. This may be justified. It's not always justified.

Whether you think thankers are annoying or not, a thank feature will not get rid of thankers that you think are just trolls, unless there is an active policy of deleting posts with no semantic content.
Men can now have deep relationships with women, but it can lead to nitrogen narcosis - Jacquoff Cousteau.
Angelic

Postby KG » Thu Jan 15, 2009 1:24 am

@Angelic - the 30-day rule still applies and I may start asking certain members to respectfully stop short posts which do not add value to the discussion (things like "Great! Post more pics!" or similar). Those are exactly the sort of posts that we should see reduced if members use the new feature as intended.

The thank mod was never intended as a panacea, just as a first step to freshening up the forums.
KG

KG
Site Admin

Re: 'Thank You' mod added

Postby invisibleman78 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:54 pm

I'm not sure, which version do you use here with his forum. But could this one:
http://phpbb3.pytalhost.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=125
work for you as well?
invisibleman78

Postby KG » Thu Jul 01, 2010 12:33 am

invisibleman78 wrote:I'm not sure, which version do you use here with his forum. But could this one:
http://phpbb3.pytalhost.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=125
work for you as well?

Thanks for the tip. I'm still investigating which one to use, then I'll look into if it's possible to import the old records into the new mod's format. I'll keep you posted.
KG

KG
Site Admin

Postby Tightright » Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:50 pm

An word on this yet KG? I really thought the 'Thank You' button was brilliant, there was definitely something special about it. :(
Tightright

Postby invisibleman78 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:11 pm

Yep, I'm one of the users who write "thank you" because I really appreciate the nice selection of pictures and movies in this forum.
But it looks "strange", if I add this small words to every other entry...

Please add the "Thank you button" to this board. THANK YOU!
invisibleman78

Postby paradox1696 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:34 pm

invisibleman78 wrote:Yep, I'm one of the users who write "thank you" because I really appreciate the nice selection of pictures and movies in this forum.
But it looks "strange", if I add this small words to every other entry...

Please add the "Thank you button" to this board. THANK YOU!

Ditto. I thought this feature was fantastic and sorely missing on other forums. Can it be resurrected?
paradox1696

Next

Return to Forum and Blog News