Megaupload song, SOPA = end of the internet

Share your suggestions for the site, chat about your favourite celebs or simply say hello.

Moderator: UrMa

Megaupload song, SOPA = end of the internet

Postby Angelic » Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:52 pm

Will the Americans wreck the internet?

Wikipedia just warned me about SOPA; the bill that would take down Youtube (and every other file sharing service). I guess it would be back to the old days of encrypted IRC, or hard drive swap parties.

It would end this site fairly quickly. (or at least the fun parts)
Men can now have deep relationships with women, but it can lead to nitrogen narcosis - Jacquoff Cousteau.
Angelic

Re: Megaupload song, SOPA = end of the internet

Postby Guest1234 » Wed Jan 18, 2012 1:40 pm

This is really gonna piss off people who bought forever partnership if the sites get shut down.
Guest1234

Postby Niolani » Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:33 am

Yeah. I only buy 6 months ahead. I remember when I bought 6 months of hotfile. Pfftt.

Back around 2001, people were too scared to even put up TV screencaps on their website. That's what it would go back to, if any of these laws get in. Nowdays we think it's bizarre that a TV company would care if you screencapped their episodes for blogging.

These laws will be hopeless to stop movie piracy, but they may put a dent in music video piracy (whoopee). Back in the old days, when movie companies extracted $30 for a DVD or VHS, there were no 2TB hard drives and computers could not play video. So, I think they are pining for an imaginary land.

Currently, it's totally legal to buy a TV series on ebay, watch it all, share it around, and then sell it on ebay for a $10 loss. So, by stopping internet piracy, you only create a mentality of "let's not watch it, until the whole DVD series comes out". With music videos, it's different, because you have to be hip and with it.
Niolani

Postby daz » Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:56 pm

Megaupload had just gone ! :(
daz

Postby Guest1234 » Fri Jan 20, 2012 2:24 am

The vote is on 24 jan, wich means 5 days left for americans to contact their states's senators
Guest1234

Postby Niolani » Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:44 am

http://www.stuff.co.nz/technology/digit ... upload-com

Mega has been seriously derailed for the moment. Police have been trying to bust "Dotcom" in New Zealand, for a while. They made it past all his barricades and cornered him in his saferoom, with his sawn-off shotgun.

If I'd known it was so easy to make 40 million, I would have done it myself. :shock:
Niolani

Postby dlongone » Sun Jan 22, 2012 2:04 am

Looks like I'm out of $80, I'd just bought a year's renewal a couple of weeks ago. I'd come out about $1000 a year ahead if I cancelled my high-speed internet, which I'd do in a heartbeat if I wasn't able to find enough media to utilize the bandwidth I typically use. I haven't bought any recent-release media new (or movie/concert tickets) in 20+ years, so even if it were impossible to download anything, they wouldn't make a penny extra from me. Media acquired through dumpster-diving, thrift stores, garage sales, and old 80s movies sellers on Amazon are dying to get rid of for $2 would do fine to fuel my hard-on. My last three downloads were low quality xvids of the same shows that had just come out of my satellite box (which I'm paying about $90 a month for service for.) Had my PVR worked properly, I would have never needed to download. They have been going after online sellers for years, and that will only get worse. Anything you sell on ebay - whoever owns the brand can complain to them and your listing gets removed immediately. You aren't able to say anything to defend yourself, and if you try to relist the item, ebay kicks you off completely.Paypal is now reporting income of anyone making substantial income to the IRS. I've tried to make purchases of "unofficial" DVDs several times on ebay and other sites, many times Paypal had locked the seller's accounts (and likely kept the seller's money). Many people are now saying that they don't need SOPA, as they tore down Megaupoload without it. Interesting that Swizz Beatz is Megaupload CEO and they're not charging him with anything. Why? Do they know he could afford good enough lawyers to fight bogus charges? Are they worried about public outcry/riots? Is he putting enough money into the economy to where it would be a loss for them if they arrested him? Good luck to anyone who supports an open internet....we'll need it.
http://hides-n-shine.blogspot.com
dlongone

Postby Niolani » Sun Jan 22, 2012 5:46 am

They could definitely remove content on the sharing sites without something as drastic as SOPA, but if it takes them 2 years to mount against flagrant breachers, and they can only do it because they had servers in USA and refused to delete links, then the law is a bit badly worded.
Niolani

Postby daz » Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:32 am

Filesonic & Fileserve now :(
daz

Postby dlongone » Mon Jan 23, 2012 5:55 am

Looks like usenet, DC++,IRC, ed2k, and torrents will have to do. I haven't been able to upload anything to Multiupload :(
They've taken thepiratebay down repeatedly,but it's always up again a day later.
dlongone

Postby Niolani » Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:56 am

daz wrote:Filesonic & Fileserve now :(

Filesonic has imploded, and the staff have gone into document shredder mode.
http://news.cnet.com/8301-1023_3-573635 ... d-arrests/

The increase in load will affect the servers hosted in Russia and various dubious places.

dlongone wrote:Looks like usenet, DC++,IRC, ed2k, and torrents will have to do. I haven't been able to upload anything to Multiupload :(
They've taken thepiratebay down repeatedly,but it's always up again a day later.

P2P from seedboxes. I haven't been impressed by torrent content. They all seem to be sharing stupid XVID files. Currently TPB is down, maybe from load.
Niolani

Postby DNBJerk » Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:44 pm

torrentday.com is a great site with quality releases
DNBJerk

Postby Niolani » Wed Jan 25, 2012 1:57 am

That one's gone a bit private, but if we went torrent, then that would be the way to go.

Mirrorcreator made me aware of how many servers are still standing. (Might be fallen over tomorrow.)
Niolani

Postby dlongone » Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:08 pm

SOPA not passed (yet), but this one is looming, and international:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-Count ... _Agreement
I heard a rumor a few months ago that they were going to hire people as independent contractors to file massive numbers of takedown requests. Apparently the person gets half a penny per "verified" takedown,and some people with their welfare benefits about to run out would be able to get them extended. So now we have a bunch of unemployable crack and meth heads tearing up the net looking for links sixteen hours a day, hoping for a $15 payout at the end ofthe month. I've found dozens of links dead within minutes of being posted. Also torrent sites showing "Torrent censored by order of US court". A number of torrents Iocked up on me with "unable to parse metafile errors". Multiupload went to all the hosting sites they ever uploaded anything to with a takedown request of their own - anything you ever uploaded through them is down. Annoying...
dlongone

Postby Niolani » Mon Feb 06, 2012 4:02 pm

I notice that Fileserve is up and running again, after dumping all their old stuff. They must have moved to new servers in ..... USA, on choopa.net. How weird is that?
Niolani

Next

Return to General Discussion