What is your favourite file hosting service? (OLD)

Share your suggestions for the site, chat about your favourite celebs or simply say hello.

Moderator: UrMa

What is your favourite file host?

www.rapidshare.com
38%
www.megaupload.com
30%
www.mediafire.com
21%
www.sendspace.com
4%
www.filefactory.com
2%
www.sharebee.com
4%
www.badongo.com
No votes
skydrive.live.com
No votes
massmirror.com
No votes
www.wikiupload.com
No votes
www.filesavr.com
No votes
www.fileden.com
No votes

Total votes : 47

What is your favourite file hosting service? (OLD)

Postby KG » Fri Jul 17, 2009 5:53 pm

This poll is to determine members' favourite file host. Note, this is distinct from picture hosts such as ImageShack or ImageVenue. File hosts are for sharing larger files like video clips or compressed picture archives.

If your favourite isn't on the list, then please post details of the host in a reply. You can also reply to discuss the reasons why you've selected one host above the others; maybe it's the lack of advertising, short wait times, or its reliability.

In any case, hopefully this will stimulate some discussion and may feedback into a future decision about recommended providers for the forums.
KG

The rules have been updated: do not post media from pay-per-click hosts, such as FileSonic and HotFile.
KG
Site Admin

Postby RTwizz » Fri Jul 17, 2009 6:13 pm

Megaupload, Depositfiles or Hotfile. Top 3 most reliable so far.
RTwizz

Postby Aarkey » Fri Jul 17, 2009 7:00 pm

I guess I'll go with http://hotfile.com

While they're slow on the upload, I've never seen a file MIA from there, and they host up to 400MB files.

I loathe depositfiles - that site craps out it's connection far too often.
Aarkey

Postby Angelic » Sat Jul 18, 2009 9:17 am

I downloaded a file from Megaupload that went at 2MBytes/sec.

I have never suxcessfully uploaded a file to any site using dialup. They always crap up.

Recently, Rapidshare behaves mostly like Megaupload, but with longer wait times.

I notice that when you download via a free Rapid account, it slowly gets slower, and files abort. After 700MB, it's not worth it.

I'm considering actually forking out the 7 euro for a one month Rapid account, to get some rare files.

Don't use Mediafire, because the files only stay there for 10 minutes.
Angelic

Postby Lex » Sat Jul 18, 2009 10:03 am

Mediafire can keep your files several months / years. :wink:
The best way to ensure that is to create a free account to manage your files.
Lex

Postby Angelic » Sun Jul 19, 2009 2:29 pm

This puzzling thing is in the Rapidshare FUQU:

How often can my files be downloaded?

* For Collector's and Premium Accounts there is no limitation. Files uploaded by free users can be downloaded 10 times, but can be easily transferred to a free Collector's or a Premium Account.

*scratches head*

I've never uploaded to Rapidshare, but Sharebee does. Sharebee must have a Rapidshare membership. I wonder what they do with all their Rapidpoints. Do you think they buy lots of USB rocket launchers?

Uploading with a Rapidshare membership is a bit of a worry, because it all tracks back to your credit card or Paypal account. I know that worries some people. IP addresses don't count in court, but your credit card does. It's this reason that makes me wonder how Rapidshare has become the leader. Today the world is full of Rapidlinks. Tomorrow, maybe not. Maybe uploaders are hoping that Rapidshare gets busted before they do.

Rapidshare potentially will pay you money for downloads, but there is a niggling term in their conditions:

Users who accumulated their ReferrerPoints by distributing files they were not allowed to (see our Terms of Service) won't get paid off. The same applies for users who got their ReferrerPoints by advertising in connection with that kind of files or on illegal websites.

It's a bit like the pot calling the kettle black.
Angelic

Postby dlongone » Fri Aug 07, 2009 2:44 am

Users who accumulated their ReferrerPoints by distributing files they were not allowed to (see our Terms of Service) won't get paid off. The same applies for users who got their ReferrerPoints by advertising in connection with that kind of files or on illegal websites.

That explains why so many people put passwords on their files, so RS can't open them to check the content :idea:

My account is up for renewal in October, I'll have to wait and see if they give me a hard time about my 35000 points ( should be more like 60000 by then). I have yet to find out if account extensions are strictly 10000 points for one month at a time, of if maybe a six-month renewal option will show up when I hit 40000 or 50000 points.

As for Paypal, you give them a prepaid gift card as your credit card. The bank account doesn't have to be in your name, you just have to prove you can access it to confirm their two deposits. Little to no chance of them finding out your identity that way.
dlongone

Postby hkjohn2001a » Sun Aug 23, 2009 1:57 am

I vote for Mediafire - can download several clips at once with no waiting time. Megaupload used to be OK, but is no longer available in HK and China
hkjohn2001a

Postby Angelic » Sun Aug 23, 2009 7:33 am

dlongone wrote:That explains why so many people put passwords on their files, so RS can't open them to check the content :idea:

You would think that, but I have found that you can acquire a password to a random file fairly easily, by putting the end of the link (inc number) into google. I'm having to do this quite a bit for files found by rapidlibrary or rapidog.

/168267758/SweetXX_-_When_It_Was_me_-_DVDrip_-_ereklim.rar

hq version - rs470.rapidshare.com/files/168267758/SweetXX_-_When_It_Was_me_-_DVDrip_-_ereklim.rar
pw: ereklim. Post a comment Tags: sweet xx, when it was me ...

It's also terribly enlightening when you do this, because you never know what forum it will turn up on.... perhaps a forum with more goodies, which you can then raid. Nobody posts a Liberty X clip on a country and western forum.
Angelic

Postby Angelic » Fri Nov 20, 2009 9:49 am

http://multiupload.com/

There's a new kid on the block.
Angelic

Postby Pooh_Bear » Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:15 pm

I like RapidShare because so many people already use it.
I have a paid account. And when I get 10k points I trade them for one one free month account extension.

You can search everything on RapidShare by clicking on this Google link:
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&as_qdr=all&q=.*+site:rapidshare.com

And you can narrow that down by adding words in the search box.
This will show up:
.* site:rapidshare.com
Try adding the world leather to that and you can find lots of links.
.* site:rapidshare.com leather

Pooh Bear
All of my videos are at:
[url]http://www.megaupload.com/?f=DDALZFH7[/url]
Check this folder regularly. I don't always post videos I have uploaded.

Pooh Bear
Pooh_Bear

Re:

Postby Mary Hinge » Thu Jul 01, 2010 7:32 am

Aarkey wrote:I loathe depositfiles - that site craps out it's connection far too often.

depositfiles is extremely flakey for me, I have a rapidshare acc, so that's best for me
Mary Hinge

Re: What is your favourite file hosting service?

Postby invisibleman78 » Thu Jul 01, 2010 4:50 pm

Unfortunately RS has changed the "policy". They don't offer bonus-programs/points anymore and you can't "save/cumulate" unused DL-traffic anymore.
I'm not sure, if this I what i want in the near future... :(
What do you think about the new Pakets like RapidSmall, RapidMedium, RapidBig, RapidSupersize and RapidBusiness?
invisibleman78

Postby Angelic » Fri Jul 02, 2010 3:38 am

Stick with Rapidshare; it's what everyone else uses.

Their bonus system is a bit of a problem because it creates large uploaders who put all their eggs in one basket - which Rapidshare then deletes in one stroke. This can render a whole forum dead. NJRS suffered this fate, and dlongone should probably watch out, too.
Men can now have deep relationships with women, but it can lead to nitrogen narcosis - Jacquoff Cousteau.
Angelic

Postby dlongone » Sun Jul 04, 2010 2:12 am

I'm not thrilled with Rapidshare's new account management, luckily I took notice of their link to check out the new terms. With 52GB of files, they had me on a LARGE account size, which would have lasted only a quarter as long as the old system (20 days instead of about 80). I dumped about half a dozen older files nobody had downloaded recently, and set max account size to Medium. What really sucks is that you can only cash in existing points until July 6, and you must have equal amounts of free and premium points (600+600 or 6000+6000). I've got 13,000 free and 325 premium, I guess they're all going in the crapper(you can't convert free points to premium). I'm well aware that they might decide to dump all my files at once. If so, I'll be stuffing my local copies of the 700+ files into MegaManager. It would take probably a month and a half to get them onto Megaupload, as my upload speed is capped at 25kBps - but could be done. I will be looking into Megaupload more.
http://hides-n-shine.blogspot.com
dlongone

Next

Return to General Discussion