How Do I Convert DVD Files Into AVI????

Share your suggestions for the site, chat about your favourite celebs or simply say hello.

Moderator: UrMa

How Do I Convert DVD Files Into AVI????

Postby Rev_Dan_Doobly » Fri Dec 24, 2010 11:58 pm

I got sick of my DVC-80 which does allow me to capture video on my computer, but of very low quality. I decided to simply burn my own DVDs of video I want converted, open the DVD and copy the files onto my computer, then convert and edit the files so theoretically I would have perfect AVI files. The problem is that last step. The few programs I have used so far convert the VTS files into poor quality blocky AVI files. Is there a proper program out there, preferably free without watermarks, that will allow me to do this?
Rev_Dan_Doobly

Re: How Do I Convert DVD Files Into AVI????

Postby Niolani » Sun Dec 26, 2010 2:43 am

AVIdemux and SUPER encoder should work. AVIdemux offers to join all the vobs. I think that generally, the sound ends up straight. One of them always uses VBR for sound, which is annoying, but I forget which one.
Niolani

Postby Rev_Dan_Doobly » Tue Dec 28, 2010 7:04 am

Turns out I have the SUPER encoder ( aka SUPER © ) as one of my programs. I have not used it in a long time and forget why I ever downloaded it in the first place. It does not work for converting DVD files, at least the version I have does not. So I downloaded AVIdemux. The good news is that it accepts the DVD files, unlike some other programs. It also allows me to isolate sections of the DVD file for conversion, another plus. But from there on it is a problem. The converted files are incomplete and need some additional indexing. The AVI comes out as audio only. the MPEG comes out as picture without sound. The only conversion that works well enough is for MKV files. Here is a sample of a conversion from DVD to MKV., a 600MB file for a latex photo shoot with Naomi Campbell.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=DW83PIYQ

I am still looking for a way to convert files to the HD quality that is found with many of the other AVI downloads.
Rev_Dan_Doobly

Postby Niolani » Tue Dec 28, 2010 12:18 pm

You certainly should be able to do it with avidemux, which makes me wonder if you have a codec problem. I think avidemux uses codecs lying around on your computer. In this case, install ffdshow. Super uses codecs that it installs - ffmpeg/mencoder. You can get different results in super, depending on whether you mess around with the sound sampling frequency in certain ways, or if you use the other video encoder. In AvIdemux, you can use a stereo filter on the sound, to convert from ac3 to stereo MP3. I typically use 160k stereo, with quality 9. I always select x264 video. You could also try direct COPY of the sound track.

Let me get this straight; you are trying to pick up one of the .vob files?

You won't get terribly high resolution from a DVD. The HD stuff is done from HDTV or BluRay.
Niolani

Postby Rev_Dan_Doobly » Wed Dec 29, 2010 3:12 am

All I care about is copying old VHS tapes and DVR recordings into AVI files with the same quality picture. I know that the DVD recordings are of the same quality, and I can copy the DVD files onto my computer, so it is just a matter of converting them into AVI or some other playable file. Preferably something that can be re-converted back into .vob files if someone wants to burn them onto their own DVD.
Rev_Dan_Doobly

Postby Niolani » Wed Dec 29, 2010 1:45 pm

Niolani

Postby dlongone » Tue Jan 04, 2011 9:13 pm

There's five main things that will affect the quality of your files: bitrate, levels, interlace, existing noise level in the source clip, and pixel aspect ratio. I have a download of some free programs and plugins here: http://www.multiupload.com/A5ANURD4SR
You'll want to install avisynth and virtualdubmod if you don't have them already. There's also a bunch of plugins to install. One of them will mention the Pinnacle program when you install - I don't have it/ need it, and you likely don't either. No problem, just have the installer put the plugins into vdubmod's plugin folder instead.
You mentioned that your files appear to need an index, that's what DGindex is for. You can copy my ready-made VOB DEINTERLACE AVS folder to any place on your hard drive, then copy the movie you want to work on into it. Click on DGindex-File-Open, select your file & click ok. Press F4 to generate a d2v index file. Now press F5 and your file should start to play. You can open the "convert to RGB.AVS" file I provide in notepad or other text editor and prepare to edit. There's 3 things you look for now, make a note of them - you'll need to edit the avs file to match: Frame type, field order, and colorimetry. There's an 80-90% chance a DVD will be interlaced, and almost certainly the colorimetry will be BT470, SMPTE170, or BT601. These three are all processed as "PC.601" in the AVS file, they are different from the BT709 you'll see in blu-ray discs and HD PVR rips(Hauppauge 1212, etc.). Get them wrong, and your colors will be off. Edit that line, put the name of the d2v file you created from your movie in the "MPEG2Source" line without disturbing the quotes or brackets. Type either true or false - according to what dgindex told you - in the SmoothDeinterlace(tff= ) line, and SAVE the file. Now open VdubMod and drop this avs file on top of it. Move the slider at the bottom, and hopefuly you'll see your movie. If you want to use noise reduction plugins, now's the time to do so. Just go to video-filters-add if you want to try something out. You should then see an option to configure and see a preview. I like Dot Crawl comb filter and neat video for VHS source, flaxen VHS can help if the colors are smeared on the edges. MSU smart deblocking is great for pixelated youtube clips. A good-quality DVD shouldn't need anything other than the deinterlacing that avisynth is already taking care of. Null transform is great for getting rid of "letterbox" bars at top and bottom of the picture - just hit configure and drag the gray area over any black area that is showing, right to the edge of the video. Once it looks as good as you think it can get...go to file-save as. Under the compression box at the bottom, you can select whatever avi, avc, or other codec you have on your system - Divx or XVID are common choices. Type a file name, confirm the save, and prepare for a long wait if it's a full-length movie. Hopefully you'll like what you see when it's done. I personally render to Lagarith lossless and pass the file on to Vegas at this point, but that's for you to learn another day. (Womble) MPEG Video Wizard is great for split-without-reencode of vob and MPG files, it also converts 6 channel audio to stereo in 10 seconds or less, while Super chugs on for several minutes(and sometimes chokes) doing this. DVDNextCopy gets rid of the copy protection on commercial DVD's. These are paid programs, so I can't post links without getting in trouble, you'll have to find or buy them on your own.
http://hides-n-shine.blogspot.com
dlongone

Return to General Discussion