File hosting and money making

Share your suggestions for the site, chat about your favourite celebs or simply say hello.

Moderator: UrMa

File hosting sites which offer money for downloads and/or pyramid schemes for sign-ups should be

Allowed
14%
Disallowed
86%

Total votes : 29

File hosting and money making

Postby KG » Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:07 pm

I want to gauge opinion regarding some file hosters' moves to offer pyramid schemes and money-making features in their offerings. I have banned picture hosts which pay per-click and I am considering banning file hosts which pay directly for downloads. It's my belief that there is no advantage for the end user. It may also be tempting for a contributor to post content to a single source and to post content which may not be perfectly suited to the forums. In an ideal world, we'd have all the content here backed up to multiple hosts - it's telling how many old videos are no longer available.

Thoughts?
Last edited by KG on Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added poll and stuck topic for a week
KG

The rules have been updated: do not post media from pay-per-click hosts, such as FileSonic and HotFile.
KG
Site Admin

Re: File hosting and money making

Postby Angelic » Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:44 pm

KG wrote:Thoughts? I'll put up a poll if there is interest.

Put up a poll to find out if people want a poll !

Currently there exists no good reason for people to be making money out of submissions, since although it would nice for them, it comes at too high a cost to the downloader. The current threat for this activity seems to come from blog owners who "linkify" free links, adding an advertising layer.

As for preserving content; the bulk of the missing files are not because of copyright complaints, but because the file does not look all that interesting, so has not been used for a while. It's a standard forum rule in many forums, that people are not allowed to bump threads to ask for deleted content. Most of the old content can be googled, if you know what you are looking for, but many classics are only held by viewers of this forum, so perhaps we need [like a hole in head] a mechanism for unregistered noobs to tell us when important content is missing, so that we can ignore their requests.
Men can now have deep relationships with women, but it can lead to nitrogen narcosis - Jacquoff Cousteau.
Angelic

Postby invisibleman78 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:30 pm

I would support a poll too.
invisibleman78

Postby Niolani » Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:49 pm

KG wrote: It's my belief that there is no advantage for the end user.

There is, if I rip off a filesonic link from somewhere else, because I can't be boggered re-uploading it.
Niolani

Return to General Discussion